Tips & Tricks for more dynamic Departure & Arrival times?

The Tutorials forum section is the place where you can learn the various techniques that go into the creation of AI traffic packages.
JoeJeepWrangler
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Tips & Tricks for more dynamic Departure & Arrival times?

Post by JoeJeepWrangler »

Hi, I'm looking for advice on setting good arrival & departure times, so arriving & departing AI aircraft stack less and seem more dynamic. Got any tips on how i could do that? Thanks everybody!
Joe
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: Tips & Tricks for more dynamic Departure & Arrival times?

Post by Firebird »

This does come up from time to time.

There is no definitive answer really. Probably the best advice I can give is harking back to my time in the RAF.
When an airfield books another to be a an emergency or weather diversion airfield you used to give a quote as to how many aircraft you would send them if needed. Quite often for a fighter base we use to quote 4 per quarter, or 4 a/c every 15 mins.
The diversion airfield used to have a limit to the number it could handle in addition to its own a/c.

So if you take that concept yourself decide what your airfield limit is and then space out take-offs, and by definition landings, accordingly.

Now in game there is an added limitation. In the military you could have pairs landings, not here though, and likewise you would get a landing call with ' one on well down' or 'even two on well down'. This means that there is aircraft on the runway currently but far enough down that if you have to go around they would not impact you. Again, not possible in game.

So you have to take into consideration the runway in question. If you have only an exit/entry point at either end of the runway then anything landing will have to travel the full length of the runway and you can handle less traffic in a 15 min window. If you have one or more short turnoffs then it of course means that the aircraft clear the runway quicker and you can handle more traffic.

So the only way to maximise an airfields capacity is to do a flood test. Create a plan with 8 a/c due to take off in a 15 min window and 8 due to land in that period. Load the game at least 5 mins before that time and see the effect.

If you don't want to do that then stick to a general rule of 4 departing and 4 arriving in a 15 min window.

Hope this helps.
Steve