Factory Hawks

Feel free to post your best military aviation photos in this forum. Attaching photos will not be allowed, they must be linked to a third party site to be accepted.
ahs06
Captain
Captain
Version: P3D

Factory Hawks

Post by ahs06 »

Not strictly photography, but had a MH-60R and UH-60M fly up from the factory for lunch the other day. Someone got it on film so here they are. We get the primer heavy UH-60'Ms every few months.

UH-60M:

MH-60R:
"No matter what happens in life, be good to people. Being good to people is a wonderful legacy to leave behind"-C Ritzer
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Factory Hawks

Post by Victory103 »

A little paint needed on the "M", but still sexy machines. Probably due to the wet ramp no rotorbrake start for the "R".
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
btaylo24
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by btaylo24 »

Hey Chris,

whats a rotor and non rotor brake start....

Barry
Barry
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

I was about to ask the same....
Cheers,
Martin
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

The SH-60 uses a rotor brake (looks very much like a car disc brake) to hold the rotors with the engines at idle for shipboard use. This also allows for quicker shutdowns in order to fold the blades on a busy ship deck verse sitting and letting the rotors coast down. For those that fly FS helos, you can't pull in much collective with a fully articulated rotor system to help them stop spinning real world, although fine to do in a Huey/B206 (simple rotor system). Some UH-60s have them as well and all have a gust lock to keep the rotors from spinning in the wind.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
ahs06
Captain
Captain

Post by ahs06 »

What's wierd is that these aircraft have mixed crews. There's a Sikorsky pilot and a DoD pilot on each helicopter. The rest of the crew is military.
"No matter what happens in life, be good to people. Being good to people is a wonderful legacy to leave behind"-C Ritzer
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

I can see the M serial, but those darn USN tactical paints make it hard to see the BuNo on the R. Mil crews will ferry the aircraft and I can see maybe the factory pilot onboard for an acceptance flight. All the guys I know that work there are retired mil.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris