Davison AAF

All things Military AI that don't fit anywhere else.
beroun
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Davison AAF

Post by beroun »

Hi,
regret that the new Davison AAF package is shutting down my FS2004. I think I did all right:
Aircraft to aircraft folder, traffic file to scenery/world scenery folder and I activated the Davison AAF scenery as usual. Also as a test, I put the Davison AAF scenery files to scenery/addon scenery/ scenery folder. Both ways the FS shuts down when loading the airport? I did not use Voice pack to activate the voice files!
No complaints PLEASE you guys do a GREAT job!
But would appreciate any clue what might be going wrong?
Many thanks
Peter Bendl
ex BA
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: Davison AAF

Post by clickclickdoh »

The most common reason for a crash on loading a scenery is because of missing textures. Davison did not use any custom objects, so all the textures are being pulled from the object libraries... leading me to believe that one of them may not have been installed properly. As a first step, I would redownload the latest version of the MAIW Global Scenery Library Objects and double check to make sure you have all the textures installed correctly.
beroun
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by beroun »

Many Thanks
I owe you guys an apology. Jumped the gun. I have actually deleted the Davison scenery and traffic and tried to open stock KDAA and FS crashed again. So it must be some other scenery acting up in the vicinity of Ft. MacDill. Got loads of it, so will try to see who the culprit is. Again apologies.
Peter Bendl
ex BA
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

No worries, we've been guilty of causing the crash enough times.
beroun
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by beroun »

Hi Gents, I actually found out what the problem was. Since assessing that some other nearby scenery is causing the problem, I was deactivating the big ones in the vicinity of KDAA one by one. Deactivated IAD, no help, deactivated BWI, no help. And bingo, after deactivating the nearby Andrews AFB (MAIW Andrews AFB (KADW))the KDAA opened OK and the new Davison AAF works just fine. All the choppers lined up there OK. So there must be some conflict between the two sceneries.
Great scenery, many thanks!!
PS I recall having the same problem before, when Las Vegas approaches shut down my FS. After deactivating the nearby Nellis AFB, the problem was solved.
Peter Bendl
ex BA
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

It's likely not a conflict between the two sceneries as I was running both while doing the design work on Davison and did not have any issues. It is probably something with the Andrews install or an AI aircraft that is visiting Andrews.

I would suggest installing just the AFCAD file for Andrews with the rest of the scenery deactivated. That will allow the AI aircraft to show up. If that loads with all the AI present and doesn't crash, then your culprit is the scenery itself. Are you using the MAIW Andrews package?
beroun
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by beroun »

Hi, yes I used the MAIW Andrews package : MAIW Andrews AFB version 3_Desmond Burrell.
As mentioned I DE installed it and it prevented the FS crashes when opening KDAA. But as a test, have just installed it again and both airports KDAW and KDAA open OK. The only change I made was to move KDAW above KDAA in priority. So all OK now.
Many thanks for your help.
Peter Bendl
ex BA
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

It is almost certainly not the priority call for the scenery, but an aircraft that was loading on the ramp at Andrews. Since it was happening last week, but not this week, it's likely an out of town visitor that is only there on certain days. That will cause the game to crash some times you visit, but be fine other times you visit.

If you could, test this theory by leaving your scenery set up as you have it, but reload the sim set to the same date you were having the crashes on.
beroun
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by beroun »

Hi,
makes sense, will try it. Got over 500 AI flying everywhere (using TTools to schedule). So will try to find the culprit.
Cheers
Peter Bendl
ex BA
AirAmerica26
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by AirAmerica26 »

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this but so far this is the only thread for Davison AAF Package.
I have Megascenery Mid Atlantic installed. Both MAIW Pax River and Andrews have been installed for some time and work fine. Davison AAF is installed, looks good, aircraft function properly. But all the stock buildings are still showing. Some of them are sticking out of custom buildings from the package. I tried to use ADE to delete the stock buildings but
they don't show up in ADE. They show up in the ADE Objects list but i don't want to fool with that in case it will do more harm than good. Thought i would check here first. Did I miss a step? Ideas, insights appreciated.
Primo ex Aerias 71 SQN (Eagle)

"Never mistake coincidence for cause and effect." W. Edwards Deming

"The more complex an idea, the more simple minded the opposition"
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

DId you try adding an exclude to cover the affected area in ADE?
Steve
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

AirAmerica26, can you do me a favor and try to post a screen shot of the buildings poking through on the scenery. I ask, because it should be impossible for them to be the default buildings and I want to make sure they aren't from another scenery that might be interfering.

I say it should be impossible for them to be the default buildings because of the method used to construct the scenery. For airfields that already have a default in FS9, I open up the default AFD file in ADE and delete out all of the default buildings by hand. ADE translates that in game by creating a small exclude square at the default buildings location. So, in theory, there should be no way for the default buildings to still be present.
AirAmerica26
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by AirAmerica26 »

Have the images but i guess I have to set up a Dropbox or something. Firebird, thanks, I didn't do any ADE work like exclusions until I checked to see of this was an easy fix. Didn't want to make things worse. I did Disable Area, uninstalled and reinstalled with same result. Back with you soon as I get a DB account. Thanks for assistance.

AirAmerica26
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by AirAmerica26 »

Hope this works.

AirAmerica26
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by AirAmerica26 »

ImageTo add to the mix. I just removed the scenery file from FS9 again. Reloaded it, activated it restart FS9 and
buildings are still overlayed but now we have 2 control towers and two fueling points.

clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

The double tower thing is certainly one of the most odd things I have ever seen, unfortunately, it's about to get more odd.

Your image compared to one I took with only the default scenery active:
AirAmerica26 wrote: 14 Jul 2017, 19:34 Image

You can see that even though the black square building is the same, the buildings towards the lower left are not the same and the building you have to the right doesn't exist.

comparing the area near the tower:
AirAmerica26 wrote: 14 Jul 2017, 20:27 Image

The buildings in the foreground are the same, but the hangar in the background isn't.

The only thing I can conclude is that what you are seeing is in fact not the default scenery poking through, but another scenery file that for some reason was made to closely replicate the default scenery using the same FS9 internal scenery libraries that the default scenery objects are pulled from.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Looking at the hangar, it could be the same just with a different texture, I have had similar things in the past.

I have just had a look at my scenery and I do not have any excludes. I also don't get the default scenery.

The only thing that I can think of is that the Davison scenery is loading first and then the default scenery is loading afterwards.
For this to happen it would mean that the Davison scenery folder has a lower layer number, or in the FS9 scenery window, is lower down the list than the default MS USA scenery.

If this is not the case, then for some reason I can't fathom at the moment you need to exclude the default scenery so using ADE load up KDAA_ADE9_BN.bgl and add exclude areas where appropriate. IF the worst comes to the worst you can always replace your modded file with the original from the zip file.
Steve
COA732
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by COA732 »

Maybe it has to do with the Megascenery Mid Atlantic that's installed. Might be conflicting with it somehow.
Jamie
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Very possible. A simple deactivate - nothing more. Will tell.
Steve
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

COA732 wrote: 15 Jul 2017, 09:13 Maybe it has to do with the Megascenery Mid Atlantic that's installed. Might be conflicting with it somehow.
If I were to put money on what is happening, I would be that Megascenery "enchanced" Davison with default FS9 objects. You will notice that the "new" default objects more closely align with real world building positions than the original default objects did.