RAF Grob Tutor question

All things Military AI that don't fit anywhere else.
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

RAF Grob Tutor question

Post by Joseph29 »

Does anyone have a full list of the active RAF Grob Tutors? According to Scramble they have 91 active Tutors but they only list 30 of them. I have 70 of them installed in my sim and would like to get all of them installed.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: RAF Grob Tutor question

Post by TimC340 »

94 aircraft were delivered, 89 to the RAF and 5 to the Royal Navy. In 2018, the Elementary Flying Training task carried out by 3 FTS, RAF Cranwell, was taken over by the Grob 120 Prefect apart from the detached element (115(R) and 16(R) Sqns) at RAF Wittering.

28 of the UK fleet were sold to Finland in 2017. The UAS/AEF establishment has been significantly reduced subsequently, as UASs lost the EFT task. You'll probably need to visit some spotter sites to find out which aircraft are still active, but I'd guess the total fleet is now around 60 aircraft.

As ever, Scramble is a poor reference source.
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Joseph29 »

Thank you very much. I guess I will just have to go through them and see which ones are still active. Can you recommend any good spotter sites?
TimC340 wrote: 08 Mar 2024, 12:00 As ever, Scramble is a poor reference source.
Anything more accurate?
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

No, not really! But 10 minutes' research after reading your post (which piqued my interest as an ex-UAS QFI) led me to several sources of info, including one which recorded some of the registrations which went to Finland.

I'd suggest you talk to Babcock, who own and run the fleet. They may well be able to provide the info, or send you to a resource which has it.
geoffj
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by geoffj »

The following 89 Tutor T.1 have been active in 2024, all currently registered to Babcock:

G-BYUB, UC, UD, UE, UF, UH, UI, UJ, UK, UL, UM, UN, UO, UR, US, UU, UV, UW, UX, UY, UZ, VA, VB, VC, VD, VE, VF, VG, VH, VI, VK, VL, VM, VO, VR, VU, VW, VY, VZ, WA, WB, WD, WF, WG, WH, WI, WK, WL, WM, WO, WR, WS, WU, WV, WW, WX, WY, WZ, XA, XC, XE, XF, XG, XH, XI, XJ, XK, XL, XM, XO, XP, XS, XT, XX, XZ, YA , YB

G-CGKD, KE, KG, KH, KK, KL, KN, KP, KR, KS, KU, KW,

Others still registered to Babcock: G-BYVP not recorded since Oct 23, G-BYXD not recorded in the last 12 months and sustained serious damage in an accident at Boscombe Down on 15 Sep 2009.

In this case Scramble is not far off!
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Joseph29 »

Thank you very much for the info and the help guys.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Some of the numbers I gave earlier are obviously wrong. 89 aircraft were apparently originally ordered and delivered to the RAF. The RAF site says 99 entered service, yet 122 are are recorded on this site (this probably includes the 5 operated on behalf of the Royal Navy). G-BYXR, G-BYUT and G-BYVN have been written off. In 2017, 28 of the RAF's fleet were sold to Finland.

These aircraft are those despatched to Finland 7 years ago:

G-BYUA, G-BYUG, G-BYUP, G-BYVJ, G-BYVS, G-BYVT, G-BYVX, G-BYWE, G-BYWC, G-BYWG, G-BYWJ, G-BYWN, G-BYWP, G-BYWT, G-BYXB, G-BYXN, G-BYXY, G-CGKA, G-CGKB, G-CGKC, G-CGKF, G-CGKI, G-CGKJ, G-CGKM, G-CGKO, G-CGKT, C-CGKV, G-CGKX.
geoffj
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by geoffj »

A quick correction to Tim's list:

G-BYWG is currently registered to Babcock, based at Leuchars, last flown 7 Mar 24.

G-BYVV is the other aircraft for Finland, Finnish mil serial tie up not yet known.