Experimenting with FS9 models in P3Dv5

Post and discuss what YOU are working on. This is the place to preview and/or discuss your modern day military AI projects.
crushnik
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Experimenting with FS9 models in P3Dv5

Post by crushnik »

I used the C-145A Skytruck from the Canon AFB FS2004 scenery for a flightplan and it showed up. But with no wheels. Is it problematic to import FS9 aircraft into P3Dv5? Is it possible to tinker with the model in Blender or something and give it a fresh look? I imagine it's a LOT harder than it seems in my head, but thought I'd ask the folks that know what they're doing.

Thanks,
Chris
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: Experimenting with FS9 models in P3Dv5

Post by Firebird »

I think that almost without exception no FS9 model can be used in P3D.
FSX aircraft can be used in the early versions of P3D but I think that it is true that from P3DV4 onwards the aircraft have to be converted/compiled for V4 specifically.

This is why people like John Young have no given up producing for FS9. He works in FSX as these models can be compiled to work in P3D and/or MSFS.

The issue is that animation mechanism for compiling models changed in FSX.

You can convert aircraft using something like ModelConverterX but there is a procedure which a smart person wrote. It is not an easy thing to do and a fair amount of fiddling is required. Which is why it took well over a year to convert our models to P3D standard.
Steve
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Firebird wrote: 11 Oct 2023, 06:35 Which is why it took well over a year to convert our models to P3D standard.

Time flies, Steve :smt001
We released our first conversion package - the HTAI F-16 - on January 10, 2018. We are still going strong, today alone I released three new packages, bringing the total to 236. And we are working on some exciting upcoming conversions.
Cheers,
Martin
Captain

Post by Jorgen »

Actually, FSX models work in P3D at least up and until v. 5.4, I have not tried v. 6 yet.

But from P3D v. 4 and on, FS9 models will not work.

Jorgen
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

So far all FSX models I have tested work perfectly fine in P3Dv6.

Send from mobile hence short
Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

Well what I thought I knew, was slightly off. I thank you for the correction.
Steve
crushnik
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by crushnik »

gsnde wrote: 11 Oct 2023, 14:56 So far all FSX models I have tested work perfectly fine in P3Dv6.

Is version 6 worth the extra money? Because of the MAIW AI aircraft I like P3D more than MSFS, but I wonder if this version would make even more of my planes unflyable for a marginal improvement over v5.
crushnik
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by crushnik »

Was flying from MCAS Beaufort to Savannah, Ga. this morning and met an Osprey at about 10,000 and I find that so neat and worth the extra work of adding parking spots and tinkering with flight plans. So if version 6 doesn't break a bunch of my add-on aircraft I'd probably pick it up.
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

I can only speak about our MAIW conversions and generic MAIW FSX and P3D aircraft. These all work without any issue that I have noticed.

For the time being I don’t have my OrbX regions and countries. I am waiting until OrbX Central officially supports the installation.

But I have bought the last version of Pilots mesh.

The whole setup works beautifully. As for airports my fictional island with all airports (heliport, seaport, helispots, carrier based) has no issues.

Cheers,
Martin