Carrier Scenery Issues in P3d (v5.3)

Let's hear all about the eye candy at those military bases.
jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain
Version: P3D

Post by jetpilot1980 »

So I have been quietly working on some Carrier AI aircraft projects for P3d and I guess this is going to let a "CAT out of a bag" guess we can say pun intended at this point haha despite my intent to keep it quiet until release day... Anyway I have been using the carrier scenery originally included in the F-35C package know as ACJ1. I have the following three files installed:AF2_ACJ1.bgl, ACJ1_Carrier_OBJ.bgl, and AF_ACJ1_ocean_flatten.bgl; and AF_ACJ1_ocean_flatten.bgl is in a lower level scenery file in the scenery library in P3d than the other two... The issues I am having are:

1. Aircraft landing short of the deck and taxiing up to the deck with wings folded... (Tested this on the new Cats, JYAI A-5 and JYAI Growler)

2. Intermittent issue where the carrier will periodically sit on top of the AFCAD and the Ocean will be elevated along with the aircraft below the hull level...

I know this scenery has been around for a while as it is AF2... Has anyone else seen or had these issues and or found a means of fixing them...?

Thanks and screen shots to follow...
Attachments
ACJ1 Prowler off deck parked.JPG
ACJ1 Prowler landing short.JPG
jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain

Re: Carrier Scenery Issues in P3d (v5.3)

Post by jetpilot1980 »

ACJ1 Vigilante.JPG
ACJ1 Vigilante 2.JPG
jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain

Post by jetpilot1980 »

ACJ12.JPG
ACJ11.JPG
jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain

Post by jetpilot1980 »

ACJ14.JPG
ACJ13.JPG
jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain

Post by jetpilot1980 »

Also a teaser from the land based model testing...
B squat.JPG
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I've been trying to figure this out for a couple of days now.

To be sure I was working with what you have I went back to square one and reloaded the carrier scenery from the F-35C zip and set up a test Prowler in an IFR circuit. I did this in the order that I first tested the scenery when I first made it.

In FSX the carrier and Prowler works fine with a take-off from the deck and a landing over the wire, as it should be. Only the carrier scenery was used, without a separate ocean flatten in another scenery area. Just as specified in the manual.

I would have tested the next set up in P3Dv4 that I had at the time, but I no longer have that version on my PC. However, I do still have all my scenery files for that version on a portable disc and I can see that the same FSX set up (single scenery area) was used, again without a separate ocean flatten area. I assume that worked at the time because I have screen shots suggesting so.

In P3Dv5.3, that I didn't have at the time, the carrier scenery on its own, from the F-35C zip, sits high above the water. It needs the additional ocean flatten (Carrier_JY1_Ocean_Flatten) that we have both been using. It certainly does the job and puts the carrier correctly on the water. However with the test I did this time, although the Prowler launched fine, it did not make the deck on its return, landing short in the water, as you found.

I think there is something in the ocean flatten that causes a different behaviour with the AI in P3Dv5.3 than in P3Dv4. I really don't know what that is at this stage, but at least I've re-explored the situations in the 3 sim versions and two of them are OK.

I'll keep pondering this and hope I can find a solution for P3Dv5.3.

John
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

This P3Dv6….

I placed the Nimitz, added the airport afcad on top and at the same location added another airport with only a taxi path at sea level with the dimensions of the flight deck.

That works fine, no sea mountain, and all aircraft land and start on the carrier deck.

My issue is that they land wherever they want in total disregard of my intentions.

Send from mobile hence short
Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

That's actually progress Martin, at least for P3Dv6. It's just a pain trying to design for 4 sim versions!

John
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

I am sure this will work for your setup as well, John. This is the way I did it in FSX as well. Give it a try. Or should I send you my files?

Send from mobile hence short
Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Yes please, your files would be great to test Martin. Can't do much this evening, but I'll have a play tomorrow.

John
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

I package and send those to you.
Cheers,
Martin