Scenery recommendations for P3D v5.4

All things Military AI that don't fit anywhere else.
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Scenery recommendations for P3D v5.4

Post by Joseph29 »

When it comes to military scenery there is not a lot out there for P3D. I would like to know what if any high-quality scenery can you recommend for P3D v5.4.

Right now I only have RAF Lakenheath (MAIW freeware), Milviz Beale AFB (payware), and RAF Coningsby (MAIW freeware). Anything else? It can be payware or freeware.

I do have quite a few airports that are both military and civilian, but I am looking to find airports that are just military.

Edit: I also have Andrews AFB made by Drzewiecki Design
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Scenery recommendations for P3D v5.4

Post by TimC340 »

I assume you mean sceneries that need no conversion or adaptation to, for instance, activate dynamic lighting? There are a great many very good sceneries here on MAIW that were never made for P3D but look great in that sim if just a little work is done with MCX. Any of the old UKMil or ACG sceneries are still extremely good representations of their subjects, and Manschy's Bruggen (which is natively P3D IIRC) is wonderful if you're after a bit of retro goodness. Also, anything that JY and I have done over the last couple of years is natively P3D, though I don't claim any great quality for my stuff!

In payware, there is the SDB range of sceneries, several of which are for P3Dv4/5, and the UK2000 VFR series which include quite a few mil-only airfields, and which work fine in P3D.
Manschy
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

The NL2000 sceneries are superb, too. It's a little complicate in my opinion to install their stuff, but afterwards, you will find fantastic Netherland Air Bases all around.
Regards, Manfred.
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Joseph29 »

TimC340 wrote: 05 Aug 2023, 16:25 I assume you mean sceneries that need no conversion or adaptation to, for instance, activate dynamic lighting?
Yes. I would not know how to fix scenery that don't work right in v5.4. As for dynamic lighting I do love it, but I will still use scenery that does not have it.
TimC340 wrote: 05 Aug 2023, 16:25 Manschy's Bruggen (which is natively P3D IIRC) is wonderful if you're after a bit of retro goodness.
I am not into the retro stuff at all.
TimC340 wrote: 05 Aug 2023, 16:25Also, anything that JY and I have done over the last couple of years is natively P3D, though I don't claim any great quality for my stuff!

In payware, there is the SDB range of sceneries, several of which are for P3Dv4/5, and the UK2000 VFR series which include quite a few mil-only airfields, and which work fine in P3D.
I don't know why but I didn't think any of that stuff worked in 5.4. I guess because I thought it only worked in v4.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

OK, understood. An awful lot of the stuff available here and elsewhere would now be regarded as 'retro' as it's so hard to keep it up to date! SDB stuff is mostly retro, though I think they may do one or two current US bases. The UK2000 airfields were current in (roughly) 2010-15.

There have been some reports of FSX/P3Dv1-3 sceneries not working properly in v5, but it's still not exactly clear why some work and others don't so experimentation is sometimes necessary. Most of the MAIW airfields were updated to work in v4.4 for the Matrix collection, but that has been withdrawn and those conversions are no longer available. However, it's very easy to convert even FS9 airfields to work in P3D, so it's worth learning the techniques (covered here on MAIW).

So far, all of the airfields I've converted for v5 are working as they should in v6.