Search found 3540 matches

by John Young
28 May 2012, 06:21
Forum: General Projects
Topic: What to make next?
Replies: 56
Views: 2726

What to make next?

With the Hunter and Lightning packages done, I'm trying to work out what to do next. I may choose to make some more scenery but I am also interested in continuing the line of AI retro fighters. The UK F-4 Phamtom might be appealing (Royal Navy and RAF FGR2 in FS9 and separate FSX code), but I am not...
by John Young
13 May 2012, 05:03
Forum: Retro AI Design
Topic: Hawker Hunter AI Packages
Replies: 38
Views: 3581

Re: Hawker Hunter AI Packages

Hunter AI packages are now available at flightsim.com:

acg_hunters_raf_9.zip (RAF FS9)
acg_hunters_raf_X.zip (RAF FSX)
acg_hunters_rn_9.zip (RN FS9)
acg_hunters_rn_X.zip (RN FSX)

John
by John Young
09 May 2012, 08:54
Topic: AI Lightning (ACG)
Replies: 8
Views: 452

AI Lightning (ACG)

I know the ACG AI Lightning was mentioned in Dave's topic and a brilliant job he has done across the range of models/liveries with his aircraft. I started my project a few months back really as a means of bringing Stevo's (ACG) RAF Binbrook to life. I particularly wanted to use FSX native code becau...
by John Young
09 May 2012, 08:11
Forum: Retro AI Design
Topic: Hawker Hunter AI Packages
Replies: 38
Views: 3581

Hawker Hunter AI Packages

I've been working on some AI Hunter packages over at ACG for a few months now and apart from the manual they are complete and will be ready for upload shortly. I have split the aircraft into 4 packs - RAF and Royal Navy for FS9 and FSX (native code for each). Rather than produce the miriad of types ...
by John Young
06 Nov 2011, 17:01
Topic: Duxford for FS9 and FSX
Replies: 17
Views: 1162

Re: Duxford for FS9 and FSX

I would estimate at least 2000 hours for me (Stevo must have done something similar) but in addition to the chucks of the scenery I built, that would also include learning how to make AI aircraft and producing the ones in the packages. It's been a great experience though. I have always been a Lark i...
by John Young
06 Nov 2011, 09:49
Topic: Duxford for FS9 and FSX
Replies: 17
Views: 1162

Duxford for FS9 and FSX

Stevo and I are pleased to announce the release of our Duxford scenery for FS9 and FSX. More details over at ACG (http://www.airfieldconstructiongroup.org/drupal/). While I have been fine with scenery design for over 15 years, I have always fought shy of building aircraft. However Duxford rather for...
by John Young
10 Jan 2011, 16:39
Forum: Tutorials
Topic: Transparency drawing order in Gmax FS9 aircraft
Replies: 2
Views: 394

Re: Transparency drawing order in Gmax FS9 aircraft

Thanks Mike, I'm actually from ACG and although drawing order problems occasionally appear in scenery design, they have been nothing like the problem that is frustrating me with my early attempts at aircraft design. I know someone who is Gmax aircraft literate and I'll try him.
by John Young
10 Jan 2011, 09:12
Topic: Transparency drawing order in Gmax FS9 aircraft
Replies: 2
Views: 394

Transparency drawing order in Gmax FS9 aircraft

Could anyone help me understand transparency drawing order problems in Gmax aircraft for FS9 please? To explain, I have built a series of AI WWII Warbirds aircraft for FSX initially and then converted them to FS9. The FSX versions are absolutely fine with all transparencies rendering correctly. For ...
by John Young
14 Nov 2010, 05:53
Topic: Gear retraction timing in AI aircraft
Replies: 5
Views: 591

Re: Gear retraction timing in AI aircraft

Thanks for the XML suggestion. I think Nick's solution is probably the easiest to achieve so a simple gear retraction in LOD_30 it shall be.
by John Young
13 Nov 2010, 06:18

Re: Gear retraction timing in AI aircraft

Thanks Mike. Yes I know how to change the duration or the order of leg retraction in the aircraft.cfg file, but it's the time when the retraction starts that I would like to influence. As you say, that's probably a function of the AI engine and presumably is not accessible for change, particularly f...
by John Young
12 Nov 2010, 15:59

Gear retraction timing in AI aircraft

I've been having great fun building AI aircraft over the past couple of months as a change from scenery design. There's much to learn but I am getting there. I have a question though, that I would dearly love the answer to, particularly if there is a workable solution. With a flyable aircraft, the u...
by John Young
03 Mar 2010, 22:24
Topic: RAF Marham FS9 and FSX
Replies: 41
Views: 2361

Re: RAF Marham FS9 and FSX

Martin, thanks for your enquiry. I couldn't find the original FMAI GR4 but I found the F3 by the same author and that certainly had a licence condition that did not permit inclusion in other packages. I conclude after discussing it with Steve, that it's not unreasonable to ask users to spend a few m...
by John Young
26 Feb 2010, 13:14

Sorry, I accidentally pressed "Submit" in the previous post (screen shot) before I added the text I wanted and I wasn't able to come back and edit it. It was to say that my scenery of RAF Marham (FS9 and FSX) is now complete and tested. Please feel free to pop over to The Airfield Construc...
by John Young
26 Feb 2010, 13:00

by John Young
14 Feb 2010, 12:12

Thanks Garry. No I wasn't really enquiring about the flight plans as you have already kindly given me permission to include those. It was the GR4 aircraft and the paints/canopy fix plus the MAIW ranges that are in the FS9 package that I was interested in. I gather though that there could be a proble...
by John Young
14 Feb 2010, 08:29

My Beta test team are now busily exploring Marham and feeding back comments. One issue has arisen with the FSX version and that concerns the Tornado GR4 AI package. I have asked users to download the FS9 version from MAIW and the canopy fix for FSX from Martin at the Owl's Nest. Because the MAIW pac...
by John Young
03 Feb 2010, 17:09

Can't be sure Mike until the Beta testers get their hands on it but I think the FS9 version won't be a problem at all and there is so much scope to use "sensible" settings in FSX that there shouldn't be a problem there either. Users can also remove 10 of the portable hangars if they want t...
by John Young
03 Feb 2010, 11:46

Thanks everyone for your kind comments. Gary, thanks especially for permission to include the converted traffic files. That will prevent a lot of e-mails from people trying to use the FS9 ones in FSX and wondering why they can't see the AI. Nick, yes it is a detailed scenery in similar complexity to...
by John Young
02 Feb 2010, 07:30

RAF Marham FS9 and FSX

I'm just putting the finishing touches to my RAF Marham scenery for FS9 and FSX, over at the Airfield Construction Group (http://www.airfieldconstructiongroup.org/) before releasing for Beta testing. Both versions of the scenery use the wonderful MAIW Tornado GR4 pack. I know there is a version of M...
by John Young
19 Mar 2009, 14:24
Forum: General Military AI Discussion
Topic: UKMIL closes doors
Replies: 32
Views: 1706

I too am one of the 3 scenery designers that left UKMIL yesterday. I have to say that I have rarely experienced "bitching" about my work. I don't think Stevo and Ian got much either. I guess between us, we must have invested at least 2 -3 thousand hours of design effort at UKMIL. We did no...