Search found 3540 matches

by John Young
10 Apr 2024, 07:04
Forum: General Projects
Topic: Scenery and supporting AI for John's KC-390
Replies: 237
Views: 7665

Re: Scenery and supporting AI for John's KC-390

Ray, I've finished all my elements of the project and I want to help Tim out by creating the AFCAD overlays and flight plans for the helicopters. According to Scramble these are the types and numbers used by FAB: https://i.imgur.com/nq7a2M9.jpg Could you confirm what types you are painting and the n...
by John Young
07 Apr 2024, 08:32
Forum: JYAI
Topic: Embraer KC-390
Replies: 32
Views: 1522

Re: Embraer KC-390

Your guess is absolutely right asdro. FSX and P3D designing takes up so much time, particularly with packages like Brazil, of which the KC-390 is part. I have no further time or energy to exacerbate that by adding FS9 back into the mix. Tim will feel the same.

John
by John Young
07 Apr 2024, 06:32
Forum: Scenery Design
Topic: RAF Tengah
Views: 1010

Re: RAF Tengah

Yes absolutely Nick, unwrap the whole texture to the model and then map each face separately to the area you want on the texture sheet and in the direction you want (UVW). How would an auto-unwrap know what you want from the different areas of the sheet? How would it differentiate the front and back...
by John Young
06 Apr 2024, 08:16

Ray, you will find the new Brazil UH-60 model and a paint kit in my FTP folder. I built it from the base "L" model because, although the Austrian model, has the nose radar, it has parts not used by FAB, and FAB has parts not used in the Austrian model. I used a number of FAB photos for ref...
by John Young
06 Apr 2024, 06:51

Nick, if you could post a screen shot of the mis-mapped textured object, I might be able to tell you what's gone wrong. I don't use Blender, but I think GMax principles of UVW mapping are the same. I wrote an illustrated tutorial on UVW mapping a while ago. Again, it's for Gmax, but just post if it ...
by John Young
04 Apr 2024, 14:46
Forum: MAIW Announcements
Topic: Urgent Forum Maintenance
Replies: 51
Views: 1756

Re: Urgent Forum Maintenance

Is it possible that the MAIW Global Object Libraries could be made available from the forum please? Without those links, people designing new scenery using those libraries are a bit stuck because users needing them will not be able to download them. Alternatively, could the libraries can be hosted e...
by John Young
04 Apr 2024, 14:37

I can produce the Brazilian Black Hawk model for Ray to paint. Just give me a day or two.

John
by John Young
02 Apr 2024, 07:03

Oh well done Ray. I spent my P3D time over the Easter break, testing the 11 airfields in the main package for successful AI departures plus the usual visual scrutiny. In the process, I think I have solved the problem that Tim found at Manaus (SBMN). What was really nice to see was the coherence of t...
by John Young
29 Mar 2024, 07:53

Best wishes Tim, for a speedy recovery. Fellow contributors - I have finished the Embraer airfield (SBGP) for P3D, having made a few tweaks and added the night lighting: https://i.imgur.com/tOdz9vF.jpg https://i.imgur.com/mokgs8U.jpg I have used an amber tint to help soften the reflected light off t...
by John Young
26 Mar 2024, 12:20
Forum: General Military AI Discussion
Topic: AI for MSFS
Replies: 9
Views: 364

Re: AI for MSFS

We can't really release the Lakenheath package now. It was built with Ian's scenery with his blessing and involvement, but he has since gone pay-ware with it with static aircraft and I don't want to minimise his return on that by competing with a freeware version. There is nothing else in the pipeli...
by John Young
25 Mar 2024, 22:21

Just wondering Nick, why you picked Tengah for the project for your SDK learning, if the information and resources are so lacking?

John
by John Young
25 Mar 2024, 14:39
Forum: MAIW Announcements
Topic: Urgent Forum Maintenance
Replies: 51
Views: 1756

Re: Urgent Forum Maintenance

Well done and thank you to all involved. The heart of MAIW continues to beat.

John
by John Young
25 Mar 2024, 07:52

Sorry, we don't even know your name, but your phrase "It's too much trouble otherwise" doesn't fit with us. We go to a lot of trouble to get things right and as authentic as possible - hence around 2000 hours to make and paint the models you want. To do that requires effort, and over the y...
by John Young
24 Mar 2024, 11:38

No, I'm not offended, just not won over yet. It would have been better if you had approached me first if your intention, as it seems, is for you to convert a lot of my models to static objects, rather than wait until your third post to realise the need to ask me about that. Provided you don't use a ...
by John Young
23 Mar 2024, 16:38
Forum: Camo repaints ltd
Topic: MAIW_WSMG F-16's
Replies: 230
Views: 7262

Re: MAIW_WSMG F-16's

I make my LODs in Gmax by grouping all the parts in the primary model and naming the group, for example, "Model_LOD_400. I then clone LOD_400 to make LOD_30, or however else I want to number it, depending on the size of the object. LODs work on pixels not distance. I may use a different numberi...
by John Young
23 Mar 2024, 10:44
Forum: Camo repaints ltd
Topic: MAIW_WSMG F-16's
Replies: 230
Views: 7262

Re: MAIW_WSMG F-16's

If you are only using 3 LODs Steve, say, LOD_400, LOD_30 and LOD_03 (paper), you only need the lights in the first LOD (LOD_400). You won't see them, even if they were added to LOD_30 because the sim can't resolve them at that distance.

John
by John Young
23 Mar 2024, 08:45

Just think about how you are approaching this because you are not winning me over. You joined the MAIW community 2 days ago with a view to getting my permission to convert at least 6 of my AI aircraft models for use as static objects. You have never thanked me for the models in the first place. They...
by John Young
23 Mar 2024, 07:31

So, it looks like, you want to use my Javelins, Shackletons, Victors, Hunters, Argosies and Canberras, as static objects. Looking at the package so far, the content looks like it's 90% my work. Let me see how the rest of the scenery progresses before I consider permissions. The objects in any case w...
by John Young
23 Mar 2024, 07:17

In the meantime, we are pressing on, This is SBGP (Embraer) with night lighting in FSX:

I need to do the same thing for P3D next, the ground splashes being more tricky......

John
by John Young
20 Mar 2024, 22:08
Forum: Misc. Forum
Topic: exciting news!!!
Replies: 22
Views: 1246

Re: exciting news!!!

The question is, assuming you can find someone or, I suspect, many, developers, who can tackle all the elements of a sophisticated flight simulator, as as already been said. What's in it for them? How will you produce a freeware offering, when these guys will probably need paying? Then you will undo...