Hi! sorry if this is annoyance, but how i get started creating AI flightplans for FSX?

The Tutorials forum section is the place where you can learn the various techniques that go into the creation of AI traffic packages.
JoeJeepWrangler
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Re: Hi! sorry if this is annoyance, but how i get started creating AI flightplans for FSX?

Post by JoeJeepWrangler »

John Young wrote: 15 Oct 2023, 04:57 NB: I made an error in the runway number above. "05" should read "5" (about 48 degrees). It doesn't affect the result though.

John
A family emergency occurred and i wasn't able to test it out today..

Once i get around to it ill let ya'll know what happens

Thanks for all the help so far, everybody!
Joe
JoeJeepWrangler
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Re: Hi! sorry if this is annoyance, but how i get started creating AI flightplans for FSX?

Firebird wrote: 15 Oct 2023, 09:55 What runway are you taking off from when you get the error?

Can you confirm that the afcad that JY posted matches what you have got?

Once you have answered those questions then somebody posted an updated afcad for the default scenery in 2014 on Avsim.
If you go here https://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?C ... LID=185659 and follow the instructions to install the 2 files.

Then see if you still get the problem.

When I saw the afcad I thought that maybe some things were missing. Maybe this one will fix it, but please answer the questions first.
Hi, Sorry for the delays, i've had a heck of a week...
Anyways, How do i check my AFCAD? I've never modified it, so im guessing it's the default one.
The planes always use runway 5.
Joe
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Hi Joe,

I hope things are better domestically for you and you can spare just a little more time on this.

Forget about the AFCAD for the time being. I don't want to over complicate things for now. If you don't know how to edit an AFCAD and you are not using a third party one, you must be using the default one, as I did.

I'd like to try and replicate the collision with the high ground you are seeing. Just so I am absolutely sure I'm using the same data as you, could you please:

- attach the traffic file that results in the collision,

- attach the aircraft.cfg file you are using with the Cirrus 22,

- tell me the wind heading that you have set for the scenario please and its strength.

If you could do that I'll test the scenario and see if I can see the problem and advise accordingly.

John
JoeJeepWrangler
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

John Young wrote: 20 Oct 2023, 06:28 Hi Joe,

I hope things are better domestically for you and you can spare just a little more time on this.

Forget about the AFCAD for the time being. I don't want to over complicate things for now. If you don't know how to edit an AFCAD and you are not using a third party one, you must be using the default one, as I did.

I'd like to try and replicate the collision with the high ground you are seeing. Just so I am absolutely sure I'm using the same data as you, could you please:

- tell me the wind heading that you have set for the scenario please and its strength.

If you could do that I'll test the scenario and see if I can see the problem and advise accordingly.

John
Here are the Flightplans, Aircraft.cfg files coming right up.
As for the wind, I've never touched it before
When testing the flightplans, i've just had the fair weather theme on.
Attachments
Traffic_NASASA.bgl
NASA Cirrus Flightplan
(432 Bytes) Downloaded 34 times
Traffic_test.bgl
Grob Perfect flightplan
(444 Bytes) Downloaded 30 times
Joe
JoeJeepWrangler
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

John Young wrote: 20 Oct 2023, 06:28 Hi Joe,

John
And here are the CFGs.

I truly appreciate all the help so far!
Attachments
Aircraft.cfg
Grob Perfect CFG
(20.39 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
Aircraft.cfg
Cirrus CFG
(11.43 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
Joe
Jon
Major
Major

Post by Jon »

Joe,

One isue is you aren't using the updated configuration file I directed you to back on page two for the cirrus 22
"To Err is Human, To Forgive is Divine. Neither of Which is SAC Policy."
AIG Beta Tester, General Aviation painter
JoeJeepWrangler
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Jon wrote: 21 Oct 2023, 00:55 Joe,

One isue is you aren't using the updated configuration file I directed you to back on page two for the cirrus 22
Do you mean the " updated config file, post # 849"
If so, I'm sorry, I must have missed that when i first saw the reply.
Joe
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Joe, I've just tested your aircraft.cfg file with the Cirrus and managed to replicate the crash I think you are experiencing. The aircraft stays on the runway 5 heading but gains no altitude. It crosses the water and heads for the hills:

I then used a file comparison program to compare your cfg file against the one I'm using (the one that came with the initial Cirrus download). The comparison revealed a wing span setting of only 6ft in the [airplane_geometry] section. My file has a value of 38.5ft.

The inference should be that the aircraft does not have enough lift, but having corrected the figure to 38.5ft in your file, it didn't solve the problem. I then put my aircraft.cfg file back in FSX and the Cirrus departed perfectly.

There is something wrong with the aircraft.cfg file you are using, but I can't figure out what it is, other than the wingspan. I would do as Jon suggested and try the file he pointed to.

The traffic files you posted look OK apart from the cruise altitude of 11,000ft (110). That's far too high for a VFR circuit. Set it to 2000ft (20) instead. I tested the higher value however with my files and it didn't affect the successful flight.

John

PS: Just looked at the aircraft.cfg file you posted for my Gob Prefect. I see that the wingspan has been changed from 57.2ft to 9ft. Why did you do that please?
JoeJeepWrangler
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

John Young wrote: 21 Oct 2023, 06:19 Joe, I've just tested your aircraft.cfg file with the Cirrus and managed to replicate the crash I think you are experiencing. The aircraft stays on the runway 5 heading but gains no altitude. It crosses the water and heads for the hills:

I then used a file comparison program to compare your cfg file against the one I'm using (the one that came with the initial Cirrus download). The comparison revealed a wing span setting of only 6ft in the [airplane_geometry] section. My file has a value of 38.5ft.

The inference should be that the aircraft does not have enough lift, but having corrected the figure to 38.5ft in your file, it didn't solve the problem. I then put my aircraft.cfg file back in FSX and the Cirrus departed perfectly.

There is something wrong with the aircraft.cfg file you are using, but I can't figure out what it is, other than the wingspan. I would do as Jon suggested and try the file he pointed to.

The traffic files you posted look OK apart from the cruise altitude of 11,000ft (110). That's far too high for a VFR circuit. Set it to 2000ft (20) instead. I tested the higher value however with my files and it didn't affect the successful flight.

John

PS: Just looked at the aircraft.cfg file you posted for my Gob Prefect. I see that the wingspan has been changed from 57.2ft to 9ft. Why did you do that please?
Yep, The crash you're experiencing is a match to mine.

I never modified the CFG for the grob, that is very strange... Should i manually change the wingspan back to 57.2?

I can't find the updated CFG John mentioned, as I'm not entirely sure where "post # 849" is or how to get to it.

Thank you all for the help so far!
Joe
Jon
Major
Major

Post by Jon »

We (mostly Tom I was testing) worked out a cure for the issue while trying to get my Aviate paints published at AIG

https://www.alpha-india.net/forums/inde ... =24771.840
Todd also released an updated config file post # 849 at the above link
After a few hours of tinkering and researching how all this stuff works I think I have got a workable solution.
While I still think this is a CG problem I couldn't find much about adjusting that what I did to compensate was to move the main gear contact point aft-ward which seamed to eliminate most of the bounce. Then I tweaked the gear so they seem to have realistic ground contact, more on the main and light on the nose. These are the numbers I came up with for P3D I don't have MSFS so that is all I had to work with.

0=nose, 1=Left gear 2= Right gear - Fore/Aft, Up/Down
[contact_points]
point.0=1, 5.88, 0.0, -4.81, 1181.1, 0, 0.523, 33.66, 0.296, 2.5, 0.794, 3.5, 3.5, 0, 165.0, 165.0
point.1=1, -2.5, -5.5, -4.7, 1574.8, 1, 0.523, 0.00, 0.286, 2.5, 0.808, 4.7, 4.7, 2, 165.0, 165.0
point.2=1, -2.5, 5.5, -4.7, 1574.8, 2, 0.523, 0.00, 0.286, 2.5, 0.808, 5.2, 5.2, 3, 165.0, 165.0
"To Err is Human, To Forgive is Divine. Neither of Which is SAC Policy."
AIG Beta Tester, General Aviation painter
JoeJeepWrangler
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Jon wrote: 21 Oct 2023, 23:28 We (mostly Tom I was testing) worked out a cure for the issue while trying to get my Aviate paints published at AIG

https://www.alpha-india.net/forums/inde ... =24771.840
Todd also released an updated config file post # 849 at the above link
After a few hours of tinkering and researching how all this stuff works I think I have got a workable solution.
While I still think this is a CG problem I couldn't find much about adjusting that what I did to compensate was to move the main gear contact point aft-ward which seamed to eliminate most of the bounce. Then I tweaked the gear so they seem to have realistic ground contact, more on the main and light on the nose. These are the numbers I came up with for P3D I don't have MSFS so that is all I had to work with.

0=nose, 1=Left gear 2= Right gear - Fore/Aft, Up/Down
[contact_points]
point.0=1, 5.88, 0.0, -4.81, 1181.1, 0, 0.523, 33.66, 0.296, 2.5, 0.794, 3.5, 3.5, 0, 165.0, 165.0
point.1=1, -2.5, -5.5, -4.7, 1574.8, 1, 0.523, 0.00, 0.286, 2.5, 0.808, 4.7, 4.7, 2, 165.0, 165.0
point.2=1, -2.5, 5.5, -4.7, 1574.8, 2, 0.523, 0.00, 0.286, 2.5, 0.808, 5.2, 5.2, 3, 165.0, 165.0
I've requested approval to sign up for an alpha india net account, Once it is approved by an admin I'll grab the update CFG. Until then, I'll try out your contact point updates.

UPDATE: The contact points make the cirrus taxi much smoother now, but it still gains no altitude and never takes off.

Thank you for all the help so far!
Joe
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Joe, I've just downloaded my Grob Prefect and checked the wing span in the aircraft.cfg file. It is correctly set at 57.2 ft. If that's what you downloaded too, I can't see how you have ended up with a value of 9ft. So, yes indeed, change it back and also the value for the Cirrus.

The Cirrus download I got from Avsim works fine for the take-off as you saw in my first screen shots and Jon's new contact points correct the attitude on the ground when braking, so I have a working solution. The author was obviously aware of that problem too, so better all round if you wait until you get access to his updated FDE and hopefully that will solve the problem for you too. There is nothing wrong with the original files in the Grob Prefect.

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

To summarize the key thing here is do not change anything in an aircraft.cfg, with the exception of the fltsim.x entries, unless you know what you are doing.

What John found is extremely relevant. Why did you reduce the wingspan?
The fact that you did it to two planes is significant.
The only thing I can come up with is that you are trying to fit parking spots. In which case the premise that you are working to is wrong.
Let us know if this is the case and we can explain why you are wrong.

The thing to remember here is that developers test AI planes. If they could have 9' wingspans they would have them.
Steve
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

There was no need to change the wingspan to enable the parking spots in the default Pago Pago airfield. They work fine, both with the Cirrus and the Prefect with the values as downloaded.

John
JoeJeepWrangler
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Firebird wrote: 22 Oct 2023, 08:14 To summarize the key thing here is do not change anything in an aircraft.cfg, with the exception of the fltsim.x entries, unless you know what you are doing.

What John found is extremely relevant. Why did you reduce the wingspan?
The fact that you did it to two planes is significant.
The only thing I can come up with is that you are trying to fit parking spots. In which case the premise that you are working to is wrong.
Let us know if this is the case and we can explain why you are wrong.

The thing to remember here is that developers test AI planes. If they could have 9' wingspans they would have them.
I absolutely swear that I did not touch the CFG files, I have no clue how that happened.

I'll grab the updated CFG now and test it tommorow.
Joe
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

How very strange. I have double checked the two .cfg files you posted here and both have the wing spans drastically reduced compared to the author's uploads. Chopping off the wings like that would usually explain the ground hugging behaviour you are seeing after take-off in both the Cirrus and the Prefect.

Let's put it down to a Halloween gremlin for now and hope that the revised FDE that you are waiting on, has the solution for you.

John
Last edited by John Young on 24 Oct 2023, 05:05, edited 1 time in total.
JoeJeepWrangler
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

John Young wrote: 23 Oct 2023, 10:09 How very strange. I have double checked the two .cfg files you posted here and both have the wing spans drastically reduced compared to the author's uploads. Chopping off the wings like that would usually explain the ground hogging behaviour you are seeing after take-off in both the Cirrus and the Prefect.

Let's put it down to a Halloween gremlin for now and hope that the revised FDE that you are waiting on, has the solution for you.

John
Hey everyone, I havent had access to my computer today until now. I'll try the updated CFG once i get back from the gym in a few hours. Thanks for all the help so far!
Joe
JoeJeepWrangler
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

John Young wrote: 23 Oct 2023, 10:09 How very strange. I have double checked the two .cfg files you posted here and both have the wing spans drastically reduced compared to the author's uploads. Chopping off the wings like that would usually explain the ground hugging behaviour you are seeing after take-off in both the Cirrus and the Prefect.

John
Well.. I Downloaded the updated CFG and fixed the one of the grob and... WE HAVE SUCCESS!!
The cirrus took off and made a nice short little flight around the island before making a very nice landing back at the airport. It did clip some trees but that's fine as the areas im gonna have it flying have very flat terrain.
The Grob took off and made a gorgeous patrol around the ocean before turning back and making a landing!
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... 1d9398eaf4&
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... 8a2416435c&
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... 63d30e686b&
You guys have done so much for me that I feel bad for asking for a bit more help.. But How would I set up flights like these in socal and nevada (KEDW, KDAG, and KLSV), the places I usually fly? Thank you all SO MUCH for the help!!
Joe
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Well done Joe, you got there.

It takes a while to learn how to set up AI aircraft properly and discovering and correcting errors is key to that, even if you have to seek help, which is gladly given here no matter how long it takes. I bet the latest aircraft,cfg file you downloaded for the Cirrus has the correct wing span and with the correction you were intending to make to my Grob Prefect, both aircraft have their wings back on and that has enabled the flights you have just experienced. As Steve says, don't change aircraft.cfg file values unless you know what you are doing, or whoever made the changes in these two cases. Be sure to have a backup if it doesn't work so you can revert back.

You can use the same flight plan that you made for Pago Pago and amend it for the 3 airfields you mentioned. Just change the ICAO codes and make sure the airfields appear in the airports.txt file. Also check the flight altitude in the plan. A 2000ft circuit is usually OK, but KLSV (Nellis AFB) is at an 18,000+ft elevation, so you may need to go a tad higher. I would avoid that one for the moment though, while you play with the other two. I'll explain why in the next paragraph.

Both KEDN and KDAG both have ample GA parking spots, so you should be able to see the Cirrus with your amended flight plan. The default Nellis AFB, however, has no parking so the Cirrus won't show. You can certainly add some yourself with the right program, but be aware that Nellis is a favourite location here at MAIW and if you search the Download Hangar you will find plenty to choose from, including the military AI that lives there, if you only have the default offering. I don't keep large packages on my PC because I spend my time designing and need a PC that loads very quickly for testing, so I'm not the best person to advise on that. I'm sure someone here can tell you how best to set up Nellis for FSX, that I'm sure you will find useful and inspiring if you want to go down that route.

We parked the question of how to create or amend AFCAD files while you dealt with the Cirrus. AFCAD files control how AI aircraft behave on the ground - where they park, where they taxi, what runways are used and how communications work. Sooner or later you will want to be able to amend these files, for example to put the parking for the Cirrus in the right place. You can see a simple AFCAD file for the default Pago Pago in my post of the 14 October.

The file can be edited with Airport Design Editor and can be downloaded here:

https://www.scruffyducksoftware.com/

Have a read through and perhaps amend the parking at KEDN or KDAG to place the Cirrus exactly where you want it. You can use a parking code for that. The manual will tell you how.

Come back and ask questions if you need to.

John
JoeJeepWrangler
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

John Young wrote: 24 Oct 2023, 11:11 Well done Joe, you got there.

It takes a while to learn how to set up AI aircraft properly and discovering and correcting errors is key to that, even if you have to seek help, which is gladly given here no matter how long it takes. I bet the latest aircraft,cfg file you downloaded for the Cirrus has the correct wing span and with the correction you were intending to make to my Grob Prefect, both aircraft have their wings back on and that has enabled the flights you have just experienced. As Steve says, don't change aircraft.cfg file values unless you know what you are doing, or whoever made the changes in these two cases. Be sure to have a backup if it doesn't work so you can revert back.

You can use the same flight plan that you made for Pago Pago and amend it for the 3 airfields you mentioned. Just change the ICAO codes and make sure the airfields appear in the airports.txt file. Also check the flight altitude in the plan. A 2000ft circuit is usually OK, but KLSV (Nellis AFB) is at an 18,000+ft elevation, so you may need to go a tad higher. I would avoid that one for the moment though, while you play with the other two. I'll explain why in the next paragraph.

Both KEDN and KDAG both have ample GA parking spots, so you should be able to see the Cirrus with your amended flight plan. The default Nellis AFB, however, has no parking so the Cirrus won't show. You can certainly add some yourself with the right program, but be aware that Nellis is a favourite location here at MAIW and if you search the Download Hangar you will find plenty to choose from, including the military AI that lives there, if you only have the default offering. I don't keep large packages on my PC because I spend my time designing and need a PC that loads very quickly for testing, so I'm not the best person to advise on that. I'm sure someone here can tell you how best to set up Nellis for FSX, that I'm sure you will find useful and inspiring if you want to go down that route.

We parked the question of how to create or amend AFCAD files while you dealt with the Cirrus. AFCAD files control how AI aircraft behave on the ground - where they park, where they taxi, what runways are used and how communications work. Sooner or later you will want to be able to amend these files, for example to put the parking for the Cirrus in the right place. You can see a simple AFCAD file for the default Pago Pago in my post of the 14 October.

The file can be edited with Airport Design Editor and can be downloaded here:

https://www.scruffyducksoftware.com/

Have a read through and perhaps amend the parking at KEDN or KDAG to place the Cirrus exactly where you want it. You can use a parking code for that. The manual will tell you how.

Come back and ask questions if you need to.

John
Hi John, Thank you very much for all the advice!
Quick question, How different is the process for setting up flight plans for large aircraft?
I'm hoping to have this HC-130 https://militaryaiworks.com/download-ha ... les-n436na Flying from KEDW to KVBG Every 3 hours. Is this the correct JYAI HC-130? https://militaryaiworks.com/download-ha ... p3dv4-jyai
Thanks for all the help!
Joe