Hi! sorry if this is annoyance, but how i get started creating AI flightplans for FSX?

The Tutorials forum section is the place where you can learn the various techniques that go into the creation of AI traffic packages.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: Hi! sorry if this is annoyance, but how i get started creating AI flightplans for FSX?

Post by John Young »

I found it at Avsim with a simple Google search of the aircraft name.

It's basically a crude, low polygon aircraft (7572 mesh triangles/8 draw calls), no LODs and a pilot painted on the glass. The.air file seems quite truncated too.

The aircraft is out of balance when in motion on the ground. When it moves forward from the parking spot the nose gear raises and then lowers itself into the concrete, repeating this each time the brakes are applied.

This is the attitude on leaving the parking spot:

The aircraft did complete my IFR circuit, but again the braking on landing was pretty horrific:

This may not be the cause of the problems being experienced, but you might just want to check that your frame rate is in excess of 24fps (CTRL ZZ)). If the frame rate is very low, it can exacerbate faults to the extent that the aircraft just won't perform properly, or sometimes just crash.

I could spend some time trying to smooth the imbalance out, but if the object of the exercise is to learn how to set up AI aircraft, I would be inclined to pick an aircraft that we know works fine. Have a search through the MAIW Download Hangar and perhaps try something different in your flight plan.

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: Hi! sorry if this is annoyance, but how i get started creating AI flightplans for FSX?

Post by Firebird »

You are quite right, Jorgen. Although it didn't indicate it on Avsim if you read the readme it does specifically say that it is.

In which case before you try merging the fde I would ensure that you have not only the original download but also the update and replace the files.
Steve
JoeJeepWrangler
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Post by JoeJeepWrangler »

Firebird wrote: 10 Oct 2023, 06:41 I have re-read this thread and the first thing that hit me is that you are using the TBAI SR-22. I don't think that I have heard of that one. The SR-22 that I have in my sim is the MCAI SR-22 ( Mike Cronin).

I did a check and I believe that Todd's model is a flyable one.

I see that in our downloads section we also have files for Tibor Kokai's SR-22, which again I had not come across.

My gut feeling here is that you may have to use the fde from an AI plane that works and graft it on to the model that you are trying to use.
Is this something that you have done before?
I have not modified FDE before.

Thank you for all the help so far!
Joe
JoeJeepWrangler
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

John Young wrote: 10 Oct 2023, 08:15 I found it at Avsim with a simple Google search of the aircraft name.

It's basically a crude, low polygon aircraft (7572 mesh triangles/8 draw calls), no LODs and a pilot painted on the glass. The.air file seems quite truncated too.

The aircraft is out of balance when in motion on the ground. When it moves forward from the parking spot the nose gear raises and then lowers itself into the concrete, repeating this each time the brakes are applied.

This is the attitude on leaving the parking spot:

The aircraft did complete my IFR circuit, but again the braking on landing was pretty horrific:

This may not be the cause of the problems being experienced, but you might just want to check that your frame rate is in excess of 24fps (CTRL ZZ)). If the frame rate is very low, it can exacerbate faults to the extent that the aircraft just won't perform properly, or sometimes just crash.

I could spend some time trying to smooth the imbalance out, but if the object of the exercise is to learn how to set up AI aircraft, I would be inclined to pick an aircraft that we know works fine. Have a search through the MAIW Download Hangar and perhaps try something different in your flight plan.

John
My sim usually gets a consistent 60FPS unless in an area with a lot of custom scenery.

Do you have any suggestions for a plane that works very well, so i can see if this issue is exclusive to this cirrus model?
Thanks!
Joe
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

60 FPS is more than ample if that's what you are achieving with this aircraft.

If you want to try something similar, you could use my Grob Prefect as a test:

https://militaryaiworks.com/download-ha ... sx-and-p3d

John
JoeJeepWrangler
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

John Young wrote: 10 Oct 2023, 20:47 60 FPS is more than ample if that's what you are achieving with this aircraft.

If you want to try something similar, you could use my Grob Prefect as a test:

https://militaryaiworks.com/download-ha ... sx-and-p3d

John
Hi John,

I set up the same flight plan at NSTU for the Grob Perfect as i had for the Cirrus. Your Grob taxis much smoother, but the problem persists. He never rotates and then smashes into a mountain.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... 5abd3beb85&
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... 7c96431bcd&
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... f1db7d07d6&

Also, I found out that im actually getting 180-200FPS at the airport we're using for testing.. Is that too fast?
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... a50f54b825&
Thank you for all the help so far!
Joe
Jon
Major
Major

Post by Jon »

We (mostly Tom I was testing) worked out a cure for the issue while trying to get my Aviate paints published at AIG

https://www.alpha-india.net/forums/inde ... =24771.840

After a few hours of tinkering and researching how all this stuff works I think I have got a workable solution.
While I still think this is a CG problem I couldn't find much about adjusting that what I did to compensate was to move the main gear contact point aft-ward which seamed to eliminate most of the bounce. Then I tweaked the gear so they seem to have realistic ground contact, more on the main and light on the nose. These are the numbers I came up with for P3D I don't have MSFS so that is all I had to work with.

0=nose, 1=Left gear 2= Right gear - Fore/Aft, Up/Down
[contact_points]
point.0=1, 5.88, 0.0, -4.81, 1181.1, 0, 0.523, 33.66, 0.296, 2.5, 0.794, 3.5, 3.5, 0, 165.0, 165.0
point.1=1, -2.5, -5.5, -4.7, 1574.8, 1, 0.523, 0.00, 0.286, 2.5, 0.808, 4.7, 4.7, 2, 165.0, 165.0
point.2=1, -2.5, 5.5, -4.7, 1574.8, 2, 0.523, 0.00, 0.286, 2.5, 0.808, 5.2, 5.2, 3, 165.0, 165.0

Todd also released an updated config file post # 849
"To Err is Human, To Forgive is Divine. Neither of Which is SAC Policy."
AIG Beta Tester, General Aviation painter
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Yes I would have done something similar, plus a test with slight movement of the CG and maybe a check of the gear compression values.

John
JoeJeepWrangler
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

John Young wrote: 11 Oct 2023, 06:26 Yes I would have done something similar, plus a test with slight movement of the CG and maybe a check of the gear compression values.

John
Where about is the CG File located?
Joe
Jon
Major
Major

Post by Jon »

CG = Center of Gravity the values are configuration file at AIG in the above link
"To Err is Human, To Forgive is Divine. Neither of Which is SAC Policy."
AIG Beta Tester, General Aviation painter
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I understand that you are concentrating on fixing the ground characteristics of the SR22 but I do have one question.

Do I understand correctly that both the Sr22 and JYs Grob both have the similar effect in the air of not taking off much and crashing directly into a mountain?

If so, can i ask what height your flightplans are for, and whether you are an IFR or VFR flight?
Steve
JoeJeepWrangler
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Firebird wrote: 14 Oct 2023, 05:48 I understand that you are concentrating on fixing the ground characteristics of the SR22 but I do have one question.

Do I understand correctly that both the Sr22 and JYs Grob both have the similar effect in the air of not taking off much and crashing directly into a mountain?

If so, can i ask what height your flightplans are for, and whether you are an IFR or VFR flight?
Yep, I can't get either to take off, they wont rotate at all and just fly straight until they smash into something, at which point the game crashes.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... acf1cadf91&

here's the flight plan, let me know if you can figure out what's wrong.. Thanks everybody!
Joe
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

What scenery are you using please? If it's not default, can you post a link so I we can test that too?

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Well the simple checks are to make sure that the height is not below ground level and 11000' is fine. An IFR flight means that it will avoid terrain, rather than rely on you you to ensure that it flies over it.

This seems to lead to the conclusion that there is something wrong with the runway. I think it may be too short for take off to be achieved, but with those small aircraft that seems to be unlikely. It could be a lack of hold short nodes. The afcad is definitely the next thing to check.
Steve
Delboy99
Captain
Captain
Version: FSX

Post by Delboy99 »

Joe. One thing to try. You have the aircraft taking off and landing at the same airport. That's not normally how flight plans work. Try sending it to a different nearby airfield and then create a new leg to bring it back. Everything else on the flight plan looks ok.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

From the flight plan, I'm assuming that the airfield with the problem high ground is Pago Pago (NSTU). It certainly has high ground immediately after lift of from the narrow runway 26 in the default FSX scenery. I couldn't however force a take-off that way and looking at the AFCAD, it doesn't seem enabled in any case:

Now it may be that with some custom default scenery, that runway is enabled, in which case, it will likely cause a problem.

However all the departures I tried were forced by default from the main runway (05) and take-off was fine, as was the landing:

This is my test IFR circuit flight plan at 2000ft:

AC#1,TST,1%,2hr,IFR,10:00,10:15,020,F,20,NSTU,11:00,11:15,20,F,505,NSTU

Try that from 05 and all should be OK.

I don't have time at the moment, but a useful further test would be a point to point flight with a 05 departure to an airfield north of Pago Pago, just in case the aircraft turns left on departure. That might just clip the high ground, but I doubt it.

John
JoeJeepWrangler
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

John Young wrote: 14 Oct 2023, 06:29 What scenery are you using please? If it's not default, can you post a link so I we can test that too?

John
It's default.
Joe
JoeJeepWrangler
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

John Young wrote: 14 Oct 2023, 10:49 From the flight plan, I'm assuming that the airfield with the problem high ground is Pago Pago (NSTU). It certainly has high ground immediately after lift of from the narrow runway 26 in the default FSX scenery. I couldn't however force a take-off that way and looking at the AFCAD, it doesn't seem enabled in any case:

Now it may be that with some custom default scenery, that runway is enabled, in which case, it will likely cause a problem.

However all the departures I tried were forced by default from the main runway (05) and take-off was fine, as was the landing:

This is my test IFR circuit flight plan at 2000ft:

AC#1,TST,1%,2hr,IFR,10:00,10:15,020,F,20,NSTU,11:00,11:15,20,F,505,NSTU

Try that from 05 and all should be OK.

I don't have time at the moment, but a useful further test would be a point to point flight with a 05 departure to an airfield north of Pago Pago, just in case the aircraft turns left on departure. That might just clip the high ground, but I doubt it.

John
I'm hopefully gonna try this out tomorrow.

Thank you everyone for all the help so far, i appreciate it!
Joe
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

NB: I made an error in the runway number above. "05" should read "5" (about 48 degrees). It doesn't affect the result though.

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

What runway are you taking off from when you get the error?

Can you confirm that the afcad that JY posted matches what you have got?

Once you have answered those questions then somebody posted an updated afcad for the default scenery in 2014 on Avsim.
If you go here https://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?C ... LID=185659 and follow the instructions to install the 2 files.

Then see if you still get the problem.

When I saw the afcad I thought that maybe some things were missing. Maybe this one will fix it, but please answer the questions first.
Steve